Monday, September 24, 2012

Randa: Rekonq installer for Windows

As a Rekonq fan, I always have been interested in helping with Rekonq development, even if I had very limited time to do so. Although my daily job has been recently migrating to Windows XP, I am still preserving my Linux roots. I have always wanted to switch to Rekonq on my Windows box instead of the alternative solutions.

There was an excellent KDE Windows BoF at Akademy this year in Tallinn. There was some interest from the participants' side, including me, to make Rekonq run on Windows. I was compiling the software during the session, and I actually got it running for my generic purposes right there, as in gtalk, ssl, and so forth. While I was able to make it compile, it is not a process that the average user will find easy.




Therefore, I decided to go to the #rekonq channel on irc back then and talk to "adjam", the maintainer. We were both excited to get this up and running.  However, unfortunately, as usual, I personally got distracted with other tasks. That was more than two months ago, but now I have found the time here in Randa again to work on bringing this vision to practice.


Install Path selection



Thanks to the very helpful KDE Windows team (in this case Patrick and Patrick ;), I was able to pull it all together. Here you can find the link for the installer:
http://winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/repository/other/rekonq-x86-setup-1.1.exe




Installing...


Last, but not least: this is not the end of the story. There is still lots of improvement needed for the installer to get really fine tuned. Currently, the installer and installed sizes are bigger than they should be. Even with those issues and some runtime inconveniences, this is a great milestone for Rekonq in my opinion. Hope this makes someone's day more bright in the future. If not, it is also okay; I had a lot of fun while doing this. :-)


In action

12 comments:

  1. I know this is kind of beside the point, but migrating TO Windows XP? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the screenshots show Windows 7, not Windows XP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, but 403MiB for a web browser? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AWESOME! Many thanks for this first stone set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried installing this on a stock WinXP SP3 install, and running reKonq it reports that MSVCP100.dll is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Chaz6: Install the runtime from microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555 or the newest possible Internet explorer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Alex: Yes, I work for a new client in a new project where XP is preferred for several reasons.

    @angel-blue01: As I wrote "Although my daily job has been recently migrating to Windows XP", you can see it is only valid for my paid job. I was not representing my company in Randa, but our KDE community so I used a different laptop.

    @Chaz6:

    1) You missed the last pharagraph where I wrote this:

    "There is still lots of improvement needed for the installer to get really fine tuned. Currently, the installer and installed sizes are bigger than they should be. Even with those issues and some runtime inconveniences, this is a great milestone for Rekonq in my opinion."

    2) Could you please try SaroEngels' suggestion and see if it works afterwards? I cannot reprouce the issue myself with my Windows XP Professional 2002 and Service Pack 3. I have also had the Internet Explorer version 8.0.X installed which may explain why. However, I would like to see if providing that dll fixes the problem or there are other issues. I would like to update the installer in one step for you.

    Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Laszlo

      This is a great effort to bring reKonq to windows.

      I installed the extra runtime package and then I was able to run reKonq.

      Delete
  8. That's pretty awesome. Quick question though, does this mean Rekonq will now be included into KDE Windows ?
    I'd like it better if I could have the Oxygen theme :) !

    ReplyDelete
  9. @SexyMimi: Yes, it could be included in 4.9 as I have moved this lately from testing to extragear with the agreement of the KDE Windows team.

    Hopefulle SaroEngels and others can make that happen. :-)

    On the other hand, I will also update the Oxygen theme for this installer soon (i.e. once I am getting my laptop unbroken for this :). I have currently disabled those icons as it was additional 30-40 MB. I should probably use better white and blacklisting for getting a reasonable addition for the Oxygen theme.

    Thank you for your feedback. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!
    I am from Reactos development team!
    Are there any news about this browser?

    ReplyDelete